Thursday, August 23, 2007

Logan



Well, what can I say about Logan. This is one young man that I am very proud of (just don't tell him I said that he might get a big head!!). This was at a friend's wedding this spring - Ain't he gorgeous?!?

Let me see where to start...this past 1 1/2 years he zoomed past me in height (I'm 5'8"), he's topping out right now at about 6'2". Most people think he's older than the 15 - almost 16 years old he really is.

I have to tell you though, he took the initiative to get a job this summer and work his butt off so that he could afford to take driver's ed this month.... driver's ed cost him $320 for the classroom and driving time. Tonight I'm taking him to go get his temps and that's going to cost him an additional $25. He agrees that he'll appreciate it more when he gets his license. He' got a ways to go according to Wisconsin State Law (6 months of temps, with about 2 years on GDL (probationary), then the regular license ~ at least that's how I'm reading the papers I've got!)

This was something that he dearly wanted (I don't blame him) and when I explained that we just couldn't afford to help him do it, he decided he could make it happen. Unfortunately it also came with some things that he had to give up - he's not getting in as many hours at work, and he decided to give up football. I tried to tell him to talk to the coach and work something out with him, but we all know how stubborn teenage boys can be!! :P

I hope that next year he can get out there and make the football team - I love going and yelling at those kids to move their butts. "Stay Low" may not be on the field this year, but I'm always rooting for him!

Logan will be 16 soon, 2 weeks from Friday. There are days that I cannot believe that I have children so old and can still be so young myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How honorable that he got a job to pay for something he really wanted. Work ethic is the most important phase of growing up. Wish mine would realize that! You have a lot to be proud of! Handsome, intelligent, driven, boy! Wow!

deesblog said...

I'm just glad that he realizes you have to work for what you want and that it won't be handed to you. Sure my Grams helped me out, but she was much more able to at that time. All I can offer him is my love and support in whatever he decides to do.

BTW, he did get his temps so STAY OFF THE SIDEWALKS!!!